Friday, February 19, 2010

Oversharing

If you celebrated Valentine's Day (or anti-Valentine's Day, or Arizona's Statehood Day) I hope you had an excellent February 14th. And if you live in the US, I hope you had a stupendous three-day President's Weekend. And if you don't do any of that, I hope you still had a great weekend last weekend.

I'm aware I've been a bit lax over the last couple of weeks. I want to tell you that this week is the week I get back up to standards here at Impending Groom. I want to tell you that, but...

I do actually have a few things to share with you all this week. I have a bad habit of oversharing with telemarketers, especially those canvasing for charity. This gets me into some funny situations and silly conversations. My guilt kicks in, and I never feel right simply telling someone "sorry, not today," especially if it's a cause that I support. A while back I got such a call, this one from Amnesty International. I felt compelled to tell him how, while I love the work Amnesty does, I was saving up for a wedding. I figured that everyone knows weddings tend to be expensive. I should have just kept my mouth shut. This guy understood about the costs... so he started giving me advice.

Apparently he'd gotten married a couple years ago himself. He proceeded to tell me all about the great deal he got on a catered venue in Las Vegas where, he assured me, he had a real wedding, complete with guests and reception and everything. He told me about his bride's family, and his family, and the music, and the food.

Everyone's a back-seat wedding planner! I thanked him for his advice. But I don't intend to suggest we move the wedding to Vegas.

One last story. I was going to hold this one back, just in case I was feeling uninspired next week. But recently one of my readers accused me of "going soft". So here's a brief installment in my ongoing critique of the WIC. My Betrothed and I spent part of this V-Day weekend shopping for wedding stuff at a big chain crafts store. There was all the usual stuff, most of which we neither wanted nor needed, and some of which we wanted but couldn't justify the expense of. And then there's stuff that just made us scratch our heads. Like this:


So...

Uh...

First off, these are wedding-themed beer cozies. Very, very classy, I'm sure.
But second, and perhaps more importantly, these were the only two they had. There was no "I'm the Groom, That's Why" or "I'm the Mother of the Bride, That's Why" or "I'm the Flower Girl, That's Why" cozies. Only the Bride gets a specific cozy. The Groom has to share one. Now, this is not to say that I don't think My Betrothed deserves her own cozy. If she desires a beverage in an aluminum can on the day of the ceremony, or at the reception, then I deem it proper that said beverage should be kept at a proper temperature by whatever means necessary, even if that means happens to be bright pink. My point is that I should get one, too. I realize that the stereotype is that the Bride is the one guzzling cheap beer out of a can in the middle of the ceremony, but... wait... that's not right.

Not pictured: White hat with rhinestones that reads "Bride." No black hat for the Groom.

~G2B

1 comment:

  1. You have obviously never been to a NASCAR wedding. Neither have I, come to think, but that's beside the point.

    ReplyDelete