Friday, January 29, 2010

Happy Birthday

I promised a blog post, but I'm not in the mood to blog.

You see, blogging is an inherently self-centered activity, and right now is not the time for me to be self-centered. I'm not feeling particularly funny right now, either. So if you've come here looking for cummerbund jokes, I'm going to disappoint you. You see, at not quite 4:30pm yesterday a 7 pound, 5 ounce Baby Boy came into this world. My Impending Nephew was born healthy and (one imagines) happy. His parents (who have settled on a name other than Joaquin) are thrilled. My Betrothed was lucky enough to be in town when it happened, I wasn't. But I did get a bit of an adrenaline high from talking to her about it, texting her about it, and thinking about it.

So this post is dedicated to that baby boy. If, some day in the far flung future, you are sifting through old internet sites on your Apple iGlasses, you may come across this post. If the anonymity doesn't throw you off, I want you to know that this is your post. It went up the day after you were born, and it's meant to be about you. Even if your Uncle to Be had a hard time removing himself from the spotlight in this inherently self-centered activity.

Many things happened the week you were born. In fact, just the day before you were born, President Barack Obama gave his first State of the Union Address, and Apple Computer announced a product called the iPad. On the day you were born, the top music album (does music still come in albums when you're reading this?) in the US was a collection of songs recorded to benefit the survivors of an horribly destructive earth quake in Haiti.

2010, the year you were born, has been a bitter-sweet year up til now. Good things have happened, and bad things have happened. So far, though, the best thing that has happened to me this year was when your father sent me a picture of your mother holding you in her arms.

And that's it for this week's post. For those who missed it, I did an extra post on Monday, and I'll probably do another extra post this coming Monday. Cummerbund jokes will resume next Friday at the latest.

Happy Birthday, Nephew.

~G2B

No comments:

Post a Comment