Thursday, March 11, 2010

What Brings Us Together Today

For those of you who may have missed it, I did eventually post earlier this week.  


I'd like to start by commenting something up:  In a previous post I mentioned My Betrothed and I seeing some off the wall wedding accouterments at a big box craft store.  More recently, in her own post on the subject, the Bride 2 Be asserted that we weren't even there to look at wedding stuff.  I can attest to that.  We came in looking for something for a different project altogether, and some force pulled me inexplicably towards the wedding section in the center of the store.  What was that force?  Fate?  Gravity?  Destiny?  My Betrothed grabbing my hand and dragging me along?  I guess we'll never know!

Next, I'd like to give an update on wedding plans!  We have (drumroll) booked a photographer (almost).  Pending pesky little things like actually signing the contract, and actually sending in the deposit, we've got one all signed up.  Best yet, this individual has expressed a willingness to be flexible if irrigation rears its ugly head (rawr).

The third item on the agenda today is Marriage.  Not mine specifically, but the actual concept.  It seems that two capitol cities have recently passed laws recognizing same-sex marriage.  Washington, DC, and Mexico City, Mexico.  Despite warnings from politicians in American and Canada (link probably NSFW, info on Canada at the end of the article), the very fabric of our society does not yet seem to be torn assunder.  It may surprise some that I have not had the urge to abandon my betrothed and go find a nice young man (perhaps a doctor?) to settledown with instead.  The fact that I could move to DC or Mexico City (Mexico City!!!) and marry such a male doctor does not seem to be affecting me.  I suppose that must be because I am safely ensconced within a state where such activity is not permitted.  Perhaps "not permitted" is too "soft core" a description.  Let me be clear:  Arizona already had a law against gay marriage, but in 2008 the voting public chose to amend the constitution to ban it even harder.  However, there may be some sweet, sweet release soon for my home state.  Nearby California also has a gay marriage ban that was backed by voters.  It's currently being challenged in federal court.  We'll see how that comes out.  I can think of at least one California lawmaker who might want to see the ban removed.  Apparently Roy Ashburn's attempts to stop gay rights have all been his way of playing coy.  He was recently arrested for DUI after leaving a gay night club.  Maybe he finally found a cause he could get behind?  I think it will all be okay in the end. 

Here's to envisioning a day when any two consenting adults can have their love legally recognized.

~G2B






 


No comments:

Post a Comment